The Leader Challenge
Factors such as globalisation and geographical dispersal, networked technology, social media and a disrupted and unpredictable world put different pressures on leaders at all levels. Additionally, in the last 20 years academics and thought leaders have concluded that growing disruption and complexity means that traditional ‘hero leaders’ cannot maximise performance by using traditional approaches to leadership. This does not necessarily make them poor performers, it means that the environment in which they operate and the nature of the challenges they face are not being matched with appropriate leadership development
“One of the great difficulties as you rise up through an organisation is that your prior competencies are exploded and broken apart by the territory you’ve been promoted into: the field of human identity.”
Based on the Universal Model of Leadership
Our approach to developing extraordinary leaders is based on the Universal Model which is dynamic, integrated and reflects adult development theory. It can be used to support leaders in the following key areas:
- developing a whole-person approach to being an extraordinary leader
- encompassing the psychological, mental, physical and emotional dimensions of adult development
- creating an entirely scalable approach to leadership development
- supporting the achievement of both personal and professional success resulting in high performance, self-fulfilment and increased self-actualisation
The Leadership Circle™
The Leadership Circle™ is a system which resulted from extensive research around the Universal Model of Leadership and has been proven to have a significant impact on leadership effectiveness. A programme based on this system includes the following
- A comprehensive 360 degree profile detailing reactive and creative leadership competencies
- Experienced coaching from accredited coaches around the results of the profiling and the accompanying reports to identify and explore insight and opportunities to develop
- Actionable and ongoing development support to affect transformational and enduring behaviour change
How can leaders 'upgrade' and change their mindset
Traditional leadership development has focused on growing skills and knowledge, building competency and widening the behavioural repertoire – essentially teaching leaders how to do more stuff – but not updating their operating system. Recent research from several studies suggests that this approach will not equip leaders to match the pace of environmental change and the challenges ahead. This is called the Leadership Gap. We designed our portfolio of leadership programmes and our development approach to bridge this gap. We call it the Leadership Bridge.
Our Approach to Leadership Development
Primeast Leader Development can provide critical insights and experiences to create strong, positive personal energy. The key lies in creating awareness of the impact each leader has on the people around them – positive and negative – and by offering practical approaches and strategies which can be used immediately.
Leader development centres on transforming an individual’s performance and impact. Using the Universal Leadership Model, the key focus areas are:
- The internal operating system – moving from a ‘reacting’ to a ‘creating’ operating system
- Positive personal leader impact
- Maturity of thinking
- The ability to deal with complexity
How We Do It
When training focuses on function and delivery, it often results in a return to default behaviour. Our approach is focused on the nature of the stimulus and application of learning to the workplace. As a result we deliver real impact, genuine behaviour change and tangible outcomes.
Stimulus is designed to appeal to a range of learning styles and provoke a new way of thinking.
“Since 2010 I have continued to work with Primeast for other needs; participating in their inaugural Future Leaders workshops, which focussed on my personal business impact and subsequently supported by a follow-up series of 1 to 1 coaching sessions. This programme contributed enormously to my own personal career success. I was promoted from Regional General Manager, through a number of other strategic roles to my current role as Nuclear Portfolio Director. Primeast has also supported me and a close colleague in helping create and deliver a Delivery Manager Development Programme training programme, for which we are both very grateful.”